Environmental Health Engineering
1. Introduction to environmental health engineering (the environmental burden of disease and what we can do about it)
2. Emissions and fate of chemical compounds in the environment (types of emissions – availability and production of emission data – transport and transformation models / general mass balance models – transformation of toxic compounds in the environment – bioaccumulation – abiotic transformation processes – biodegradation – biotransformation).
3. Water quality engineering and health (the nature of water quality problems – physical processes – chemical and physicochemical processes – biological processes – health effects of water pollution and sanitation).
4. Air quality engineering and health (the nature of air quality problems – atmospheric pollutant emissions and control – processing methods – air quality models – health effects of air pollution).
5. Solid waste management and health (the nature of the solid waste disposal problem – minimization of hazardous waste – hazardous waste management processes – hazardous waste disposal – health effects of solid waste).
6. Life cycle analysis and impact assessment (introduction to life cycle analysis – life cycle analysis methodology – framework and objective setting for the analysis – life cycle inventory – life cycle impact assessment – applications of life cycle analysis: usefulness, weaknesses and constraints, examples).
7. Setting up the cyclical economy (mass and energy flow integration in industrial complexes – fundamentals of environmental policy making – industrial ecology and cyclical economy case studies).
8. Chemicals in the environment and public health (mechanisms of human exposure to environmental chemicals – the exposome – exposome-wide associations with adverse health outcomes).
Il corso si svolgerà dal 27 ottobre 2016 al 20 gennaio 2017 presso le Aule di Palazzo del Broletto (Piazza della Vittoria n. 15).
W. W. Nazarof, L. Alvarez-Cohen. Environmental Engineering Science. John Wiley & Sons Inc. 2002. ISBN 10: 0-471-14494-0
F. R. Spellman, N. E. Whiting. Environmental Engineer’s Mathematics Handbook. CRC Press 2005. ISBN 1-56670-681-5
J.M. Mihelcic. Fundamentals of Environmental Engineering. John Wiley & Sons 1999. ISBN 0-471-24313-2
H. Greim, R. Snyder. Toxicology and Risk Assessment: a comprehensive introduction. John Wiley & Sons Ltd. 2008. ISBN 978-0-470-86893-5
C.J. van Leeuwen, T.G. Vermeire. Risk assessment of chemicals: an introduction 2nd edition. Springer 2007. ISBN 978-1-4020-6101-1
Ambito : Scienze e Tecnologie
Semestre: Semestre I
Anno accademico: 2016-2017