- The development of a holistic approach for assessing the risk and resilience of critical infrastructures subjected to various natural hazards, whilst also addressing aspects relating to insurance and risk financing;
- The development of methods and technologies aimed at reducing expected losses in buildings due to seismic shaking and other extreme events;
- The complete review of ground motion characterisation and methods to incorporate them in seismic design, which is aimed toward the optimised use of resources.
- Creation of a new experimental setup, the only one of its kind in the world, capable of carrying out large-scale tests on structural and non-structural elements by simulating the relative response of any pair of adjacent storeys in a building;
- Establishment of an International Museum of Earthquake Engineering.
- Strengthening of the international PhD programme in Understanding and Managing the Extreme;
- Promoting, both nationally and internationally, the MSc in Civil Engineering for Mitigation of Risk from Natural Hazards, in collaboration with the University of Pavia.