Notice board
immagine bacheca dottorato

At least 60 days before the end of the last year, you should submit a report of activities concerning the whole Programme, along with both tentative title and abstract of the Doctoral Thesis.
The Academic Board will verify the fulfillment of the objectives according to the educational and research project and it will evaluate the acquisition of an adeguate national and international scientific experience, gained by the PhD student.


Due to insurance reasons, it’s necessary to submit the application for the missions, even if the reimbursement it’s not required.
In order to obtain the needed authorization, you should submit the mission application at least 2 weeks before the date of departure.
For the mission assignment, please log on U-Missioni website, through the following link and follow the guidelines for the request submission.
For further information about the Mission, please write to

The procedure is very alike/similar to “budget for mission”, except from one important difference: it’s necessary to select your doctoral Coordinator as Responsible for the Mission. She/He will confirm the 10% budget as funding to be used and will give the due authorization.
Find below the main information you will provide:
Type of request: BUD10_mission paid by budget 10%
Responsible: Name of the Doctoral Coordinator
Project: leave the field empty. The Coordinator will select the budget 10% funding during the authorization process.
The system automatically will also send an authorization request to the Head of the Class. For further information about the Mission, please write to

In order to spend a period abroad, with relative increase of the scholarship (maximum 12 months), it’s necessary to ask for the authorization to the Academic Board, through the dedicated form, along with the invitation letter from the hosting institution and a letter from your Supervisor.
All the documents have to be sent at least 1 month before the starting date (at least 2 months before, if the period is scheduled for September or January) to the PhD Coordinator (in copy,, who will be in charge to present the request to the Academic Board.
N.B.: The increase of the fellowship is usually paid by the end of the period abroad, against a formal letter signed by the research Supervisor of the hosting institution. For any stay longer than 3 months, the scholarship increase can be paid every 2 months, against a formal letter signed by the research Supervisor of the hosting institution.

In order to spend a research or study period at an Italian Institution which does not have any agreement with the School, you must ask for the authorization to the Scientific Board, against an invitation letter from the hosting institution and a letter from your Supervisor.

To all the PhD students is assigned a budget for research activity equal to 10% of the amount of the scholarship (equal to 20% for students enrolled in a national interest Phd course). This budget has to be used for activities related to the PhD purpose, according with the Regulations.
Examples of the allowable expences:
Registration/enrollment to conventions and conferences;
Missions in Italy and abroad;
Consumables for lab activities;
Small items;
The use of research Budget is linked to previous authorization from both the PhD Coordinator and the Head of the Class, prior Supervisor’s approval – when required.
For further information, please see “Regulation for Doctoral Courses – Title III”.
Reimbursement form.

- can be used to certify your position towards Italian private subjects, foreign private and public subjects, Italian Embassies and Consulates;
- must be used to attest your position towards Questura or Prefettura for release/renewal of the permit of stay.
In order to have legal value, some kind of certificates must be released on payment of a stamp tax. Please find below the list of certificates with revenue tax:

Certificate request 16,00 €
Certificate of enrolment 16,00 €
Certificate of enrolment with curriculum 16,00 €
Degree certificate 16,00 €
Degree certificate with curriculum 16,00 €
Certificate for release/renewal of permit of stay 16,00 €
Requests to obtain certificate and other documents without revenue tax:exemptD.P.R. 26/10/1972 n. 642 Tabella Art.14
In order to request a certificate, please sent this form – filled and signed – to Payment of a revenue tax is needed for certificates request form if the certificate requires the revenue tax (1 revenue stamp for the request + 1 revenue stamp for each certificate).
Certificate without revenue tax: 
• Application for degree courses – both with/without admission test
• Application for subsidies or to be admitted to Charity Institutes and related documents (D.P.R. 26/10/1972 n. 642 Tabella Art.8)
• Compulsory Social Insurances (INPS; Cassa Mutua, etc…) and related controversies (D.P.R. 26/10/1972 n. 642 Tabella Artt. 9 e 12)
• Family allowences (D.P.R. 26/10/1972 n. 642 Tabella Art.9)
• Scholarship or grant achievement (D.P.R. 26/10/1972 n. 642 Tabella Art.11)
• Exempt from scholastic taxes, books vouchers, pupils transport, school canteen – compulsory school (D.P.R. 26/10/1972 n. 642 Tabella Art.11)
• Retirement controversies (D.P.R. 26/10/1972 n. 642 Tabella Art.12)
• Documents for job controversies, both for private or government jobs (Art. 10 Law 11/08/1973 n. 533). 
• Release of residence card for UE citizens (Art. 5, comma 7, DPR 54/2002).
Self-Declarations must be used to certify your position towards Italian Public Administrations and/or Managing Insitutions of italian public services (except for immigration procedures managed by Questura and Prefettura). Self-declarations – both in Italian and English – can be printed through your IUSS Personal Area.
If you are pregnant, the PhD programme will be suspended for 5 months. You should send to the Postgraduate Office a communication within the end of the seven month of pregnancy. You are also required to provide the original medical certificate, issued by a gynaecologist, attesting the estimate date of birth.
Request of flexibility: it’s possible to abstain from work 1 month in advance since the estimated date of birth, as well as after 4 months after childbirth. Starting from January 1st, 2019 it’s possible to work until the day before giving birth and abstain from work for the next 5 months. For the request of flexibility, you should send (not before the seven month of pregnancy) an original medical certificate, issued by a gynaecologist from National Health Service - Servizio Sanitario Nazionale - or a gynaecologist which is part of the state run health care (Hospital, ATS, family counselling).
This medical certificate should provide:
- The estimate date of birth;
- The indication of the gynaecologist that you are able to work for the whole eighth month of pregnancy (or a part of it; or until the day of the childbirth), without any health problems, neither for the baby.
The Phd scholarship holder, registered to the INPS as self-employee – Gestione Separata -  and without any other compulsory insurance (Enpam, Enpav, ecc…), could take advantage from INPS maternity allowance.  In order to obtain it, you should submit a specific request (for more details, please visit INPS website.



1. Do I need to take courses during the PhD period?
Yes. Check also Question 2 for more details. 

2. Is there a minimum number of lecture hours to be followed during the PhD?
Yes, the minimum number is 150 hours. There are, however, considerable differences among the distinct PhD programs. Please refer to the courses and didactic organization of each PhD (i.e. "Didactic activities" section on your PhD Programme webpage).

3. Do I have to pass an exam or is attending enough in order to have the course recognized?
This depends on several variables, including the specific PhD Programme, the type of course (e.g. basic or advanced), and the criteria defined by the course lecturer. In case of doubt, you should liaise directly with the lecturer or with the Graduate Office. 

4. What is the difference between didactic seminar and research seminar?
A didactic seminar is a short course (max 12 hours) included in the academic offer of your PhD programme and it is recognized by default. A research seminar is proposed in the framework of the activities of a research centre and can be recognized upon request to the Coordinator of your PhD Programme.

5. In addition to courses, seminars and lab activities offered within my PhD programme at IUSS, are other activities recognized as lecture hours?
Only courses, seminars and lab activities offered by IUSS can count to the fulfilment of the minimum number of hours mentioned in Question 2. 

6. Can I take courses or participate in activities of the University of Pavia or other institutions?
Any activity that is already listed among your PhD active courses will be recognized by default; otherwise, you must address a formal request to the Coordinator of your PhD Programme.


7. What requirements do I need to fulfil to be admitted to the final defence?
PhD students must attend the courses included in their Study plan (Piano di studi) (which, depending on the PhD program might be arranged in agreement with one’s tutor), and take the exams when required. The acquisition of an adequate national and international scientific experience will be assessed by the Academic Board.

8. What are the official steps, actions and timing for the PhD thesis submission and defence?
1) Submission of the final report (including the activities carried out during your PhD, publications, abstract of the thesis);
2) Submission of the thesis as pdf file to the Graduate Office;
3) Antiplagiarism check (to be carried out by Graduate Office and reviewed/approved by PhD Programme coordinator and the Supervisor);
4) Thesis approval by two external reviewers, appointed by the Doctoral Board;
5) Admission to the final defence by the Board of Department to which the PhD Programme refers to;
6) Submission of the thesis to the defence Jury, appointed by the Doctoral Board (the external reviewers that have already reviewed the thesis – point 4 – can be part of the Jury);
7) Public defence.


9. What procedure should I follow to ask the authorisation to carry out a mission?
The procedure to follow when asking the authorisation to carry out a mission is described here:
1. linee guida;
2. u-missioni web site.

10. What procedure should I follow to ask the refund for an authorized mission?
Please refer to the section ‘Doctoral Programmes -> Procedures -> Notice Board' on the IUSS website.

11. What expenses related to a mission can be reimbursed in advance or directly sustained by IUSS?
Please refere to the section 'Doctoral Programmes -> Procedures -> Notice Board' on the IUSS website.


12. What is the amount of the fellowship? What does it include?
The annual gross amount is € 15434,28, including the social security contribution, which corresponds to 34,23% of the scholarship (2/3 paid by the University, 1/3 by the PhD student).

13. Does the scholarship cover medical insurance?
No. PhD students, however, may register to the National Health System (Servizio Sanitario Nazionale) by paying € 149,77 in order to benefit health care services. More details can be found at the following link:

14 Is the scholarship still paid in case of maternity leave?
No, in the case of maternity leave, the attendance to PhD Programme is suspended, hence without payment of scholarship, for 5 months, but the student is entitled to the maternity benefits provided by INPS. 
For further information about how to apply for the maternity benefit, please check INPS webpage.

15. When and how does one get the payment of the scholarship increase when in a research period abroad?
In order to get the scholarship increase for a research period abroad, you must send to the Graduate Office a confirmation letter, signed by the host institution, specifying the exact period of attendance. This letter must be sent either at the end of the period or every two months (if your period is longer than three months), depending on the desired frequency of payment.

16. Is the 10% research budget calculated over the gross or the net (10% tax reduced) scholarship annual amount? 
It is calculated over the gross annual scholarship amount.

17. What is the procedure to follow to ask for the reimbursement of expenses using the 10% research budget? 
Please refer to the section ‘Doctoral Programmes -> Procedures -> Notice Board’ on the IUSS website.
Is it possible to request an advance payment of the 10% research budget?
No, PhD students are entitled to get it as reimbursement of expenses incurred.
What happens if I do no spend the whole amount of the research budget for a given year?
The unspent amount will be summed to the budget of the next year.

18. Can I apply to the benefits provided for by EDISU?

19. Am I eligible to get a student reduced price in the university canteens?
Yes, you can access to the university canteens and (where available) to get a full meal at reduce price (last tier). Please visit EDISU web site for procedure.

20. Are IUSS students entitled to the same benefits as the University of Pavia students, such as discounts, free library access, etc.?
Current benefits for IUSS students include: EDUROAM account (for Wi-Fi connection), card for photocopier/printer (1200 copies/year), free library access.

In order to continue updating the "Frequently Asked Questions" (FAQs) section please write to



DM 224/1999

DM 45/2013

Regulations for doctoral courses at the University School for Advanced Studies IUSS Pavia